Sunday, March 21, 2010

Several IV Bags Later

Good Lord. I just spent a good spate of time in the L&D ward where I delivered Missy. Hooked up to an IV dripping several bags of delicious hydration into my body. The Z0fran wasn't bad either. Took the edge off.

Nausea hit hard and fast late last week. I managed well for a few days but then it just accelerated. I couldn't keep anything down. Which put me in a downward spiral, dehydrating me further. No energy. Dry heaving the nothingness in my gut. Lying awake at night with gnawing hunger, dry mouth and so much nausea I could barely leave the bed. It was a very desperate feeling.

My OB admitted me right away. And the kind nurses pumped me with fluids. I feel almost human again.

I also had an ultrasound, which showed a measuring-spot-on embryo with a heartbeat of 124 at 6.5 weeks.

The daily Z0fran and the nightly Un1som tablets keep the harshest nausea away. I still have a constant low-grade nausea that hangs about me like a robe but I now I can manage it.

The whole experience has left me feeling like such a hypocrite. Here I try to be all natural-like but when push comes to shove I'm the one begging for the extra 2 ounces of Z0fran and am popping my nightly Un1som like it's Pez.

At least the wee one has cleared another hurdle.

Not so sure about momma.

5 comments:

stickybun07 said...

Oh no, that sounds AWFUL! I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time of it. I hope the nausea eases soon. And I'm happy that the little one appears to be doing great. Hang in there, and I will continue to send good thoughts that all continues to go well with your little one.

Fiddle1 said...

ugh. I am happy that things look well in the ute (!!! yipee!!!) but am so sorry to hear about the nausea and dry heaving. must feel awful. there's no shame in drugging up.. that level of nausea and dehydration will make you miserable really fast.

Caro said...

Ugh! sorry about the puking. Great news on the scan though.

nikole said...

I'm SO sorry. That reminds me so much of my pregnancy with Thea. It is SO hard. And I can't even imagine with another little one to care for. I took Unisom EVERY day of my pregnancy - Zofran did nothing for me, but the Unisom really, really helped.

Hang in there.

L said...

Ugh. I am right there with you, even at 22 weeks.

I did the Zofran/Unisom/B6 routine but I have found that 2 Benedryl work the best. Yes, they make you tired, but I would rather be groggy than ralphing.

My OB kept telling me that women with hyperemesis rarely miscarry (and she personally has never had anyone with HEG miscarry) and that every time I puked I was to remember that there was a healthy placenta developing.

So here's to a healthy placenta, right?

MissedConceptions