Monday, August 6, 2007

Investment Strategy

Driving home from the lake yesterday, Cowboy and I discussed where we were going to “put” my retention bonus. Retention bonus. Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Cowboy is a commercial financier. From Texas. I have learned in our marriage that these things to him are as essential, as natural and as unemotionally discussed as if we were deciding what to have for dinner.

Too bad housing prices haven’t dropped much around here, he said. We could use it as a down payment on a rental.

How about we invest it in an adoption, I said.

Well, darlin’, that’s not really an investment. (Duh. We went to the same b school).

Yes it is. An investment in my sanity.

10 comments:

L said...

I completely agree re: adoption. It most certainly is an investment in your sanity. If I can tell myself "in 2009 I will have a baby" I can keep going.

Did you test yet? Are you out of the 2ww?

LJ said...

I too went to Bschool, and would have this argument for you.

Is not the point of an investment to bring you more value than you put in? Well, would you not agree then, that for the cost of adoption, the rewards are priceless.

So there!

L said...

Bleck on the one line and then having to wait for the meds to clear your system. Menstruation purgatory is not a fun place to be.

I thought you would post if it were different, but I lost track of where you were your 2WW.

Here is a little bit of quasi-happy knowledge: by the time your period arrives, your body is already preparing to ovulate again.
That helps me not be so disappointed.

Unknown said...

Yes but hopefully with a child there would be many happy returns..until teenage years that is! So adoption huh? I know that you've commented on my blog that it also runs through your head at times. I still like reading the adoption blogs when I'm feeling down in the dumps. Anyways, hugs to you Ms. P :)

Carrie said...

I think that sounds like a very good investment.

JJ said...

It IS an investment in sanity...I hear ya!

Anonymous said...

Funny how men tend to see investments only in terms of dollars and women can see investments in terms of non-tangible thngs. I wish you luck! We can't even think about adoption in our house so at least you have lines of communication open...

Mama Bear said...

Hear! Hear on the investment in your sanity and in your family! The two best investments you can make.

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

adoption is def. an investment. You get a tax credit for adopting, which a lot of employers match and you get a tax write-off for having a kid in general. And unlike IVF, is pretty much a sure thing.

But, of course, I'm doing IVF! (although, pursuing adoption at the same time and am more than happy to answer ?s)

Mony said...

like a fine investment to me.