Saturday, October 30, 2010

End Date

My due date is Nov. 5.

Despite being at 3 cm dilated, daughter #2 has not dropped. My OB estimates that the baby is 7 lbs and she does not want her to get much bigger.

I have a narrow pelvic opening courtesy of 2 lousy tailbone mishaps and there is a genuine issue of a "bigger" baby not making it through.

As such, we've been asked to come up with three dates next week to schedule an induction. Which means the "p-word" (pitocin), which I had hoped to avoid.

My OB says there is little risk of a c-section using pitocin on a 2nd baby when the first was delivered via the traditional route. I just really, really, really want a natural childbirth this time around and know that pitocin amplifies the contractions for momma and can stress out the baby. Leading to all sorts of rash decisions in a clutch.

I know this sounds incredibly silly and maybe a bit selfish. However, I am the kind of person who often sets physical goals for herself though, so the desire to deliver naturally is not entirely surprising.

I have vowed to keep a mental image in my head of the obscene amount of the money I wrote in the check to the doctor who performed my epidural the last time, which essentially cost $10 per minute of pain relief.

In the meantime, I have tried acupressure and acupuncture on the labor points to no avail. In fact, I have tried all the Old Wives methods, save for castor oil. Just can't go there.

Anyone know a good astrology source where I can find the best birthday for my little Scorpio-to-be?


stickybun07 said...

I definitely know what you mean--I was in serious "let's get a move on, kid!" mode with this one as well. And became a google-expert on big babies, measurements and how much they grow at the end, and the like. (a google expert bearing no resemblance, of course, to an actual expert.)

So, hopefully she'll come soon and without incident! Hang in there and all the best for an uneventful birth!

megan said...

How are they estimating the weight? Ultrasound? I can tell you my story of how wildly off EFW measurements were for me, but I'm sure you have read about it in general.
Has your accupuncturist done the induction points or just the cervical ripening ones? I had the induction series before my EDD because I too was facing medical induction. I called it "aggressive acupuncture" because it was so unpleasant...but I went into labour on my own a couple of days later.
Good luck. I'm sending lots of labour vibes your way. It is NOT silly to want a natural childbirth! I desperately wanted that too ( and got it! ). It was awesome, and good for me on many levels beyond the fact that it's best for mom and baby anyway. It was very healing for me. Sending you lots of easy, natural labour thoughts!

Caro said...

Here's hoping we both get started naturally soon.

I'm avoiding castor oil too but I've had several hot curries and I'm drinking lots of raspberry leaf tea.

Fiddle1 said...

it's tough picking your baby's birthdate. we had to decide Dec 24 or Dec 26. Hopefully you won't have to choose. Sometimes it seemed to me the more disappointed I was that she didn't turn and the chances were higher i'd have to have a c-delivery, the more she dug in and stayed put. my dream of a natural delivery was crushed. she was estimated at 8 lbs 11 oz the week before the c-delivery, by measurement, but she was born 8 lbs 7.5 oz. You are in such great shape, I think even if you are induced you will be able to do it without any other intervention. Can you inquire about the other methods of induction (the suppository?).

Fiddle1 said...

aack. i forgot to mention that to decide dec 24 vs. dec 26, i did find a site by searching google "dec 24 birthday astrology" and did the same with dec 26. Not sure how reputable the site was. but ultimately decided that i didn't want to be in the hospital on Christmas day. So the 26th it was.

Fiddle1 said... And i do remember picking the 26th b/c of what it said and b/c we didn't want to be in the hospital on Christmas Day, and also b/c it was the longest she could stay in b/f yanking her out. I wanted to give her all the time I could in case she turned on her own.

stickybun07 said...

Thinking of you today and this week and wishing you'll well.