Friday, July 27, 2007

I Told You So

Actually, it wasn't me, but LJ recently posted an article about chemicals in cleaning fluid impacting fertility - and not in a good way. And a few others (Exile in Kidville and Max's Mommy) have touched on the subject of familiar household objects wreaking havoc on both our bodies and the environment.

It's not like we're a bunch of crusaders. But we are highly tuned-in to our bodies and what we put in them.

Yesterday I received my Vogue subscription. I know, I know. What does someone living in the land of Danskos, Hunter wellies and Gore-Tex have any business reading Vogue? Not sure, but I have been a fan for years.

Anyway, the feature story in this month's issue (besides the re-surfacing of Winona Ryder, which reminds me to put Heathers into my Netflix queue. Again.) is "An Inconceivable Truth - the Link Between Infertility and the Environment."

Ha! I have long suspected that the messy, messy environment in the 70's -- when most of those reading this blog were either in utero or little girls -- and the fact that our parent's generation was the first generation raised on a daily diet plastic toys and processed foods is impacting both male and female fertility today.

I don't have proof. But when three of the four randomly-invited couples (all ranging from early to late 30's) at a dinner party I recently hosted has had some sort of reproductive intervention to start their family, I go, "hmmm."

The article in Vogue is okay. I wonder if the editors stripped out a bunch of facts in order to make it more like a Vogue-y observation/conversation. It is written by a guy who seems more concerned with his son's sperm count than anything else (who wouldn't be). It does give, however, some great jumping off points for Google searches on this subject. As if we all needed more reasons to Google. Unfortunately, the Vogue website is not linking to their feature story, so if you are interested, you might have to drop $5 at your nearest newsstand.

But the fact that Vogue is calling attention to this issue is amazing to me. Cheers to the editors. It is about time that this issue gets out beyond the natural living magazine section.

Here are some interesting facts gleaned from the article:

  • There has been a 42% jump (from 1985-1995) in women in their 20's experiencing fertility problems.

  • In the medical industry, medicines are tested extensively before they are approved to put on the market. In the chemical industry, compounds are considered safe until proven dangerous and only then are they banned. By the way, if you do PR for the chemical industry and happen upon this blog, please do not comment (this is a miscarriage blog afterall) and kindly go fuck off.

  • An estimated 1,500 to 2,000 new chemicals a year are brought to market, rarely even listed as active ingredients on your shampoo bottle, lipgloss or floor cleaner.
From an organic diet to trying to buy as many food products in glass bottles to our household cleaners, we've made a lot of changes in our house over the past year. Won't Cowboy be surprised when he finds all the plastic tupperware and Nalgene bottles in the tag sale bin.

Actually, no, he won't be surprised at all.

* * *

Two other quick notes...

I am headed out of town on some busy work travel so I won't be blogging for a few days. I am attending a shoe preview trade show and promise to post some pics of next spring's hot numbers (as long as I don't get wrestled to the floor taking pictures at the Jimmy Choo booth).

Cowboy found a large frog on the side of our house yesterday. Aren't frogs fertility symbols?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ms. P, tupperware? Really? Wow...so what do you use to take your lunch into work? And shoes..LUCKY DUCK! I looked on Ebay for a pair of flats that I am coveting that are too expensive retail (Taryn Rose) but they didn't have my size...hopefully soon!

LJ said...

And what scares me even more is a government that continues to loosen the regulations of what is considered organic. I want cut and dry - organic or not. And frankly, I want that shit in organic packaging. I mean, everything comes in plastic these days.

My dad had this theory that most sci-fi movies have some basis in predicting the future. Go see "Children of Men" and then try not to think of this article...

tipsymarie said...

Have you stopped wearing makeup?

megan said...

i frequently drive myself (and my husband) insane about all of this stuff. like you, i feel that we're now paying the price of the conveinence decades (not that we're out of them or anything though!). all of this plastic, pre-fab foods, insane chemicals for cleaning, aspertame, etc etc simply HAS to be a factor in the world surge of reproductive difficulties. it simply HAS to.