Monday, January 4, 2010

All You Need to Know about Road Tripping with a Toddler

Sorry not to post while I was on the road. Between all the mountains and friends we wanted to visit across Idaho and Utah, we ran a tight ship. Organizing, hauling, packing and unpacking all that gear was quite the feat. And we didn't even pack that much. Five pairs of baby socks for 10 days of travel, for instance. My secret: Smartwool socks turned inside out and dried by the heater. (No laundry this time. I can only imagine spending a few hours in a laundramat with an active toddler.)

Cowboy ended up being quite the sherpa. That man is amazing. We only lost one snack trap during the entire trip, which included moving into and out of five different temporary residences with the port-a-crib, ski boots, boxes of Annie's bunnies and an assortment of gloves for each of us.

I am so grateful for the mountains, for the fresh air, for the snow. I am grateful we've chosen to have the mountains define our lives as a family. I am grateful that we do this for Christmas instead of presents. Each year has its own memories and learning experiences.

This year we learned to pack more of Missy's favorite music CD's for the long hours on the road. In an effort to bring as little as possible, we only brought TWO.

Both of which will be ceremoniously burned one night after Missy goes to bed.

In an effort to conserve space, I didn't even bring the CBEFM. I got to CD15 without an indication of peak fertility before we left. I considered bringing it briefly but in the end decided to fuck it and wing it old school style. I guess we'll just hope for the best this cycle.

Of course, to ensure a little good luck, I made sure to drink some beer and wine, sit in a few hot tubs and eat shellfish in the back half (I think?) of this cycle. Should make for some good babymaking karma, eh?

3 comments:

stickybun07 said...

Sounds like a great trip--shellfish spas and all. So glad you had fun!

And I so hear you about toddler music. Mine are currently obsessed with baa, baa black sheep. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hurl something out the window next time I play it...which will undoubtedly be tomorrow.

Coffeegrljapan said...

Good for you! Shellfish, spas and wine - that's the way I like to make a baby! Take THAT infertility!

Also, I hear you on burning the child CDs. I've got one or two I'd add to that fire!!

Lauren said...

I found your blog through another one and wanted to say hi. I'm a first time mom after 2 years of infertility. It's a whole new world!